Prague Trip

Prague was this wild mix of history and chaos

Day 1

I took the train to get to Prague and arrived at the main railway station. It's this Art Nouveau building with all these intricate details on the facade.


After checking in, I grabbed some lunch. Ended up with a traditional Czech meal with bread dumplings, meat in gravy, and all of it. It was hearty and exactly what I needed after the train ride.

Then I just walked around the old town for a while and caught sight of the Žižkov Television Tower poking up over the rooftops — this huge grey concrete tower with weird pod-like modules stuck partway up the shaft, and tiny dark figures that turned out to be David Černý's crawling-baby sculptures climbing the outside. Totally bizarre next to all the spires.

By evening I grabbed some gelato from a stand and walked over to see the Astronomical Clock lit up at night. The whole old town square was crowded, but the clock itself is just insane — all these mechanical details and zodiac signs and layers of history compressed into one building side.

I got lit at the Drunken Monkey Pub crawl

Day 2

Woke up early and went to Charles Bridge. Standing in the middle of it with Prague Castle looming up on the hill and the Vltava River flowing underneath.

I spent the late morning at Prague Castle and saw the cathedral complex. St. Vitus Cathedral is just... a lot. So many spires and this green copper roofing that's weathered to this perfect patina. The crowds of tourists everywhere kind of ruins the vibe, but the building itself is undeniably stunning.

After wandering through the castle courtyards I headed back down to the old town and checked out some of the local shops. One had this insane collection of Krtek the Little Mole character plush toys and Prague souvenirs everywhere.

I also wandered past the Powder Tower, this ornate Gothic gate structure that just sits at the edge of the old town. It's one of those landmarks that's easy to miss if you're just walking around though.

Then it was time to catch my train back. Barely scratched the surface, but it felt like I actually lived there for a couple days instead of just checking things off a list. 














Comments

Popular Posts